Instructions for using ZOOM
Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool that allows users to meet online with or without video. Any device such as PC, laptop, Ipad or smartphone can be used.
You can either download Zoom when you join your first meeting or download it beforehand by going to this site:
Click on the Zoom Client for Meetings button.
If you are using your smartphone to use Zoom you will need to go to the Google App Store and download Zoom from there.
Connecting to a Meeting
1. For the ZOOM meetings you will receive an email with a link to the meeting. It will cover topic, time and have a link to join the meeting. When you click on the link, Zoom will ask you to launch the meeting or download and run Zoom. When this is completed, you will then be allowed into the meeting by the host.
2. When you have joined the meeting and ZOOM is operating, scroll to the bottom of your screen to access the Tool Bar. Click on the appropriate icon to turn On/Off Muting or On/Off Video. If you are using your phone for the Audio, you have a different icon. When not speaking, mute yourself. The host can mute everyone if necessary. Computers pick up background noise which can be distracting. The Participants icon shows the number of people in the meeting. Clicking on this icon brings up a display at the right of your screen that lists the meeting participants and the current status of the Audio and Video for each person. There will be a selection of Non-Verbal icons at the bottom of the list that can be used to communicate with the Host or other participants. You can use the “Raise Hand” tool to let the Host know you would like to speak or the “Yes” and “No” icons to respond to general questions.
3. The “Chat” tool is a way to communicate without speaking. Click on the “Chat” tool - a Chat window opens on the right below the list of participants. You can select to whom the message is to be sent. You can select an individual or the whole group for your message.
4. You can leave a meeting at any time by clicking on the “Leave Meeting” tool at the far right of the Tool bar. This brings up a dialog box where you can confirm that you want to leave the meeting. The host will end the meeting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Do I have to have a webcam to join on Zoom?
While you are not required to have a webcam to join a Zoom Meeting or Webinar, you will not be able to transmit video of yourself. You will continue to be able to listen and speak during the meeting, share your screen, and view the webcam video of other participants.
2. Why is my video/camera not working?
If your camera is not showing up in the Zoom Settings or it is selected and not showing any video, these tips can help you troubleshoot why it is not working.
1. Make sure that all other programs that utilize the camera are not using the camera or are closed.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Uninstall the Zoom client and reinstall the latest version from the Zoom Download Center.
4. Why does the link not work when I try to access the Zoom meeting?
If your link does not work please email the host (it will be the same email address as that with which the link was sent) and the link will be resent to you. Please join at least 15 minutes before the start of your first meeting to make sure you are able to join the meeting successfully, and are able to turn on your video and your audio.
5. Can I join using my phone and not computer?
Yes. You will be given both a computer link and phone number(s) to access the Zoom meeting. You will not see the zoom screen or participants. Do not put your phone on speaker when joining by phone.
6. Do I have to get a Zoom account?
No – you do not need an account, but will be required to download the app to your computer if you are linking from your desktop or mobile device.
7. The sound is breaking up – what should I do?
The quality of the sound and video in a ZOOM meeting is related to the quality (bandwidth) of your Internet service. If the sound begins to breakup or the video signal degenerates, then turning off your video can help. Connecting to your internet with a wired connection is better than connecting over wireless.
8. Where can I find more help on using ZOOM?
The Zoom Help Centre has video tutorials to help you get started and learn more. Find them here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us